Iranian Herbal Teas
In Iran, consumption of herbal teas has long been common, but in recent years interest in herbal teas has increased dramatically. The reason for this growing interest is a number of factors. Some people use them to take advantage of their therapeutic benefits, others drink them to diversify their daily drink, and others use it as a stylish drink for receptions. Herbal teas are made from dried fruits, flowers, herbs, and spices. Therefore, they have a wide variety of flavors and aromas. Herbal teas can replace sugary drinks or even water. They have many health benefits and in this article, you will be introduced to some of these herbal teas and their proven effects.
Gole Gaav-zaban (or Borage in English)
Gole Gaav-zaban is a beneficial and fragrant herb that many people use it for its sedative properties. It can be used in many ways, but it is more common to brew. Gole Gaav-zaban is a striking azure colour. In physical appearance and shape, it is similar to the pomegranate flower. It is a native of many parts of Iran and it can be found abundantly in the Alborz Mountain Range.
Properties of Gole Gaav-zaban
• It has a warm nature and an exhilarating effect. It is most famous for its full body strengthening and soothing properties.
• This brew is beneficial for the treatment of kidney stone pain.
• If you have seasonal allergies, it is recommended to use this flower top. It is very useful for the treatment of mouth ulcers as well.
• Another benefit is that it cures asthma and sore throat. This herbal tea with honey is prescribed for asthma.
• It contains magnesium and prevents cancer.
Some people use green tea only for the purpose of losing weight, while others use it for its abundant properties. Many researchers and nutritionists believe that green tea is a good alternative to black tea. For freshness, it is best to put green tea in a dark container and keep it in a dark place away from light and moisture. To brew green tea for each person, pour 1 teaspoon of green tea into the teapot and add 1 glass of hot water at 80 to 85 degrees. Leave the teapot lid on for 7 to 8 minutes. Then drink it. Green tea, like black tea, does not need to be brewed on heat.
Properties of Green Tea
• Drinking green tea is considered a factor in preventing cancer.
• The main reason for the anti-aging of green tea is that it is rich in antioxidants.
• This plant is effective in losing weight and boosting one’s metabolism.
• Green tea eliminates bad breath by removing bad bacteria in the mouth.
• Green tea stimulates the activity of brain cells, especially the ones used for memory.
• Drinking this tea prevents liver disease, especially liver cancer.
Quince Herbal Tea
This herbal tea is one of the most fragrant and most popular types of herbal teas. Brewing quince herbal tea is very simple and it can be easily done at home. This herbal tea is made both individually and also in combination with apples which both are very fragrant and soothing.
Properties of Quince Herbal Tea
• It is useful for the treatment of many diseases including gastrointestinal infection, severe intestinal edema, diarrhea especially bloody type, urinary tract irritation, asthma, chronic headaches, and various inflammations.
• It has a positive effect on thought and mind.
• Boosts the heart, liver, and stomach.
• As it contains potassium, it helps lower blood pressure.
Cinnamon Herbal Tea
In fact, the cinnamon we use is a tree bark with green leaves and white flowers, and it has a warm and dry nature. Usually, the bark of this tree is cut and then ground to powder. It is used as a seasoning to flavor different foods. Both cinnamon powder and cinnamon bark are used to make cinnamon herbal tea, but as cinnamon powder makes the drink cloudy, it is best to use cinnamon bark to make this herbal tea. To make cinnamon herbal tea, wash 2 or 3 cinnamon barks with cold water. Put cinnamon barks in a teapot and pour boiling water (90-80 C). Brew cinnamon herbal tea for 15 to 20 minutes and if you desire you can drink it with fresh lemon juice. You can throw a piece of rock candy into the teapot while you brew it.
Properties of Cinnamon Herbal Tea
• Cinnamon opens blood vessels and improves blood circulation.
• Some research has shown that cinnamon has a positive effect on lowering blood pressure.
• Cinnamon strengthens the immune system and has a similar effect to penicillin and antibiotics.
• Cinnamon herbal tea is the best medicine for muscle aches.
• cinnamon herbal tea has calming and soothing effects, and it is better than many sedatives.
• It is also effective in treating diabetes.
Lemon Beebrush Herbal Tea
Lemon Beebrush is a fragrant medicinal herb that has a pleasant smell similar to lemon. To make lemon Beebrush, first put a tablespoon of lemon Beebrush leaf into the teapot. Add some water at a temperature of about 80 to 90 C, and allow it to brew for about 20 minutes.
Properties of Lemon Beebrush Herbal Tea
• It is a soothing drink.
• The essence of this plant is widely used in the food industry and in the production of perfumes.
• This herbal tea helps to relieve the heartbeat.
• It is suitable for the treatment of colds and coughs.
• This herbal tea is good for healing headaches and migraines.
Thyme Herbal Tea
Thyme is a plant that you can use as a spice in various food dishes or you can brew it as a herbal tea. The way to make thyme herbal tea is exactly the same as brewing tea.
Properties of Thyme Herbal Tea
• It helps digestion and relieves abdominal pain.
• It is used in the treatment of flatulence
• Thyme herbal tea is anti-cough and expectorate, and it has a great effect on the treatment of bronchitis.
• It is used in the treatment of asthma
• It relieves pertussis and inflammation of the upper respiratory tract
The remarkable thing about consuming these herbal teas is that although all of them are naturally occurring plants abundant in nature, and they have fewer side effects than chemical drugs; excessive use of some of these herbs can cause undesirable side effects and even severe poisoning. Therefore, the use of herbal teas like chemical medicines should be done consciously and according to professional usage recommendations.