A very special journey through the depth and breadth of Alborz range, and through a fascinating slice of Persian history.
This is a memorable trip not only because of its physical beauty and the variety of landscape encountered, but also because we cross paths with history and myth some of which have acquired world renown. This is a voyage through a region that was the territory of Ismaelies and the famous Hassan Sabbah and his infamous Alamoot Castle. The castle and quite a few other fortifications belonged to the Hashashin or what in the west is more commonly known as the Assassins. Our trek follows millennia old routes that have been established by humans which their origins are lost in the fog of time. More recently our journey was made famous by a British lady who came to these parts about one hundred years ago in search of the valley of the assassins and wrote a book about her adventures. Her name is Freya Stark and her book is available in English.
The history of Alamoot Castle and this particular sect of Ismaelies go back to about 1000 years ago. They were able to build numerous castles and outposts throughout the mountains and maintain an independent life style away from any central power. They lasted till the Mongol invasion of Persia about 300 years later during 14th century A.D. Their history is long and quite complex, during the trip we will have a chance to give more information and provide the chance to closely examine some of the physical remains of their structures.
There are a lot of highlights so we have added a few more than what are offered in our highlights section:
• Exceptional Trekking route through spectacular mountain scenery.
• We will visit 3 of the Hashaashin Castle/Forts: They are called Alamoot Arjaan and Lam-bessar.
• We will go through several old and historical villages still inhabited.
• You will get to see several Caravanserais dating from the 16th Century in various states of disrepair and/or under construction.
• Will cross 2 vast valleys called Alamoot and the valley of 2000
• Camping in the Alam-Kooh basin which is quite spectacular.
Air fare, airport taxes, gratuities, items of personal nature